Sunday, October 30, 2011

Trick or Treat?

Does your family celebrate Halloween? Working at a Christian School there are many children who tell me that their family does not celebrate Halloween. I always smile and say, oh very good I can understand that, and I can. It is a pagan based holiday. But for me Halloween is an opportunity for family memories, not to mention a chance to show the world that Christians are not too uptight to let loose and have fun. I love that all you have to do is dress up and visit the neighbors. There's no gift buying, or turkey stuffing, just fun, and getting the chance to pretend to be something completely different from who you really are for a little while.
Does symbolically shutting the lights off to show the neighborhood children that you are too holy to give away candy really help them see how much God wants to accept them for who they are, and that they are beloved by God? Am I endorsing the devil by dressing my son up like a chicken? I hope not. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure God gets a smile out of his cute kids, just as much as I do on this silly holiday. I would hate to rob anyone of the fun.

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you! The name is perfect for so many reasons . . . Love you, Your Mama!

    ReplyDelete