Monday, October 31, 2011

Matadors in the Living Room

Today two of my sons were bull fighting in the front room. One of them had a blanket and was playing the matador while the other one was charging away. I always risk the possible damages in favor of creative play, well usually! I love when they are using their imaginations and being real kids. It is such a struggle to fight the mind-numbing video games, and tv time. All summer long we fight about it. "How much video game time do I have left?" "Does it count for my time, if I'm watching him play his game?" Many times I have gotten so tired of discussing it that I just throw up my hands and yell "whatever, play games all day, I don't care!!!!"
Praise God, I had a brain wave (right at the tail end of summer) that seems to be working better for us. Instead of limiting the TV to 1 1/2 to 2 hours a day, I am letting them play pretty much as much as they want on Wednesday's and Friday's. (Weekends we play by ear.) This has made it easy. "Can I play a game?" is answered by "What day is it?" I know they may be wasting time on these two days, but think about the miracle of three days a week with no whining, or begging. Three days where they are forced to use their imaginations to entertain themselves. They are slowly learning to play like "real kids". Joy for Mama's heart!!

No comments:

Post a Comment